måndag 28 september 2009

When you wish...


Something strange happened to me last winter; I started looking up in the sky after sundown. I don't recall exactly what made me raise my gaze towards the dark heavens trying to figure out the gleaming dots out there in space. Naturally, I've always been interested in "astronomy" (or at least some parts of it...) and along with geography (cities and countries, mostly ;-) it was the major passion of my childhood and early youth. Unfortunately, it wasn't considered "cool enough" among my peers to be a "space nerd" in a class cramped with wannabe little scientists that thought the hardcore experiments in Physics class was all there is to know about the movement of their small little existence...


Even then, when I was at the peak of my yearnings for the extra terrestrial worlds, I cannot imagine that I ever really looked up in the sky and tried to figure out the stars or constellations far away, above my eyes. Had I ever asked myself what they were... and why? So one late afternoon, almost a year ago, when I was visiting my mother at the hospital I came to a standstill on the way to my car and just found myself wondering about the strong and lone, white light rising up the darkening blue sky. I wondered: "Is this Sirius or is it Venus?"




Well... Of course the it was Venus, "the Evening Star"... And a month or two later another star, almost as bright went up in the southern part of the sky, when our closest planet neighbour had wandered towards the southwest to shine through the drapes of my children's bedrooms...



Nowadays, I cannot help myself from thinking about stars of all kind, colour and shape. And soon my boys will talk more and more frequently about these stars I've told them about all year. Because, though there are many stars present right now, the greatest and most spectacular of the bright shining objects will appear soon in the dark winter skies in the evening and at night... and not in the early mornings of autumn, as they do now...


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar